Yes, talk about a 12hr/day job 6days/week. I’ve read somewhere that we only have 24hrs/day, use it wisely and as suggested alot 8hrs for sleeping, 3-4hrs eating small meals 5x, 8hrs for working, 1hr for exercising, 3hrs for relaxation; time for yourself. In my case, having to work 12hrs/day, I was deprived of that “relaxation” time, even eliminate a bit time for sleeping too for 2years. Until now, I couldn’t imagine myself starting all over again, having to work far from home and away from your family, long hours, noodles, language barrier – but ad of now, Im proud how I made it!
During those period, I’ve tried countless of ways to de-stress and relax myself. And here I’ll share my personal (based on experience) tips on how to survive a 12hr/day job: (like a Pro) Hehehehe…
1. Have a self discipline. If you work 10-10:30 a day, make sure that you try to be in bed by 1AM. Lights off. Gadgets off. This way you can still have at least 7-8hrs of sleep. This is the No.1 thing I struggled to work on to before.
Tip: An aromatic room spray or scented candle can really help!
2. Plan a vacation. Time flies so fast especially when you always have something to look forward. Try to do it every 4th month or 6th depending on your budget. It doesn’t have to be fancy. Just a short getaway. It can be a 3-5days trip. For me I always opt for nature/adventure trip and my budget ranges from $150-$400 depending whether it’s local trip or out of the country. Promise, it pays off!
Tip: Save $50 from your monthly salary for this.
3. Keep your room clean. This place is your sanctuary. Nobody wants to go home from a 12hr job in a messy room. Little did you know, it causes stress too! Get rid of the clutters. Make your bed. Make it a place to rest and not another place to clean.
4. Eat healthy. Try to eat healthy. I know how hard it is but home cooking is still the best, health and money wise. All you need is the motivation to cook no matter how lazy you feel you are! I usually do stir fry vegetables/meat and/or meat that requires simmering (this time I use to get other things done). If I have the time, I try to create good food with a really good presentation even I’m the only one who’s gonna eat it. See, there’s always a way to pamper yourself. Nonetheless, I always find cooking therapeutic. :>;
5. Treat yourself twice a month. Some do it in the form of shopping but for me, I do it in the precious form of SPA :):) Yes spa here in SG can be very expensive BUT there’s always Groupon, Deals and here Malaysia! :) I usually buy deals online which is 70% cheaper or go to JB Malaysia wherein spas are half price cheaper. If not for them I probs need to wait until I go back in Philippines! Aside from being cheap, superb massage you can ever get too!
Tip: Try Sonya’s Garden Signature Massage in Tagaytay
6. Take a nap. It’ll recharge you to make it through out the day. I usually start my work at 10 and have my lunch break by 2PM. I eat in 15mins and in 45mins, I passed out! When I wake up it always feels like Im just starting the day. For so long it’s my way of tricking myself that I start working at 3PM, making it feels like an 8-hr job. It works! (Though sometimes you can’t really trick yourself)
Tip: NEVER EVER sleep so late especially when you have to do a full shift in 3 or more consecutive days. You’re killing yourself.
7. Keep the goal in mind. May it be a short or long term goal. Remember that hard work will always pay off. No matter how gloomy it may seem, it WILL pay off! :) When you have a hundred reason to give up, think of that one reason why you have to stay. If you don’t have any reason to stay at all, then leave. As Steve Jobs said, don’t settle and keep looking until you find the one you love. :)
8. Be inspired. Nothing can be as blooming as it can be than an inspired person. Find an inspiration. May it be your family, your dream, your crush, look around you. Inspiration surrounds you. You just need to acknowledge them. Hehehe As of the moment Im so much inspired to turn my dreams into reality. And this what drives me to continue. Okay daw yung pinaghihirapan, para mas maappreciate yung worth. :)
9. Read a book. Just take sometime to take your eyes an hand off your phone, iPad or laptop. It doesn’t matter whether you can finish a book in one seating or a year, what matter is you give yourself a little time to stay away with technology. Madadagdagan
pa vocabulary mo! Some do it in form of sports which is good too! And some other things such as cooking. (Ulet?) Anything that can help enhance yourself and others. I struggled with this before too!
Book Recommendation: Before Ever After, Eat Pray Love, The Witch of Portabello,The Hunger Games, Catching Fire and Mockingkay too!
10. PRAY. When things went wrong OR when things went right, pray. Ask and be thankful. I have no idea of how many times I asked for strength. When I came here in Singapore, Im so skinny I don’t look like I can do a 12hr job. I always pray for strength and patience and thankful everytime I make it throughtout the day. Praying is like writing in a journal, even more, blogging for me, only between God and myself. It became one of my way to release all the negativities, at the same time celebrate the goodness life is bringing. This really helps to re-shapen my faith and my relationship with God which I overlook before coming here.
These are things that kept me going throughout those years. Mine was never perfect. I was learning those the entire process of adjustment. And kept in mind, thousand of times I thought of giving up. LET GO OF THE BURDENS. No matter how precious they are for you, if they’re burdens, they’re burdens, you have to let go. If you learn to do that then you’ll see what I mean :) Hehe
Must write lest I forget :)
Photo by: Syd Bautista taken at the Singapore Zoo